Photomasters

I went to the Photomasters Exhibition in the Old Truman Brewery last night. I found myself drawn in particular to the work of Lorenza Demata, who is completing her MA in LCC. According to her artist statement, her work deals with:

“ …notions of identity, distance and displacement in the migration context of London”.

“It is estimated that expatriates constitute approximately 40% of London population. At the same time, almost 50% of the total consumption of food resources in the UK relies on the importation of fruits and vegetables from other countries” 

What drew me to the photographs (aside from the obviously striking block colours) is the notion of a portrait being faceless. This idea is something I dealt with a lot within my BA practice, and I think greatly enhanced my desire to study the MA specifically dealing with characters. What you can tell from a person’s clothing or the objects surrounding them to me is more interesting than straight ahead portraits.

This notion of clothing containing a character within itself is at the moment the only thing I know I definitely want to address in my graduation film. I want to examine who you become in different clothing, and how much of you can be defined by what you cover yourself with. I also want to deal with the life clothing takes on outside of a body. This seems like a natural extension of the thoughts I was dealing with back in Dublin in my textile degree, and I’m excited to see how they progress with my newfound animation skills, while at the same time a little confused as to where this is going to lead. But I do always find it reassuring when I’m drawn to work that I feel echoes these notions, even if it wasn’t the artists intent. This is a story I want to explore, and it is relaxing to know that I can see echoes of that in other’s work I gravitate towards.

Check out more of Lorenza’s beautiful work here.