I feel like I’ve been having a steep learning curve on what not to do while making a short film. Which I guess is a good thing as next year hopefully I won’t fall into the same pitfalls!
My initial plan was to cut and build everything I needed out of paper and then to shoot everything all together. My first mistake was not setting up the space with Steve before I had completed everything. I got lucky with most of my paper cuts being smaller, but I had spent quite a while on the ‘shared house’ scene’s paper cut, only to find it was waaaay too big to shoot on top of the lightbox. Shooting it anywhere else wasn’t really an option as I wanted to keep the backgrounds of the film as similarly lit as possible, so I had to re-cut the house in a much smaller scale.
the original paper cut with wacom pen for size, and the off cuts showing the size difference between it and the end used cut
I spent double the time I wanted to on this cut, so I am now feeling a bit behind. But definitely following a steep learning curve on what works and doesn’t work!