Titles

It’s the last few days of the project eek! After barreling through the stop motion animation (still a few nitty gritty bits to do) we’ve all started working on some of the minor details of the film. Sacha has been doing a lot of editing, and Chen has been compositing the bead scans. I spent today hand stitching the opening title sequence. So much still to do, but I feel like we’re all working super well together and feel on top of things. Excited to see the final film now!

 

Stitching

Hand stitching the backdrop character’s expressions. Sacha’s designs are so ridiculously fun.

I’ve been trying to play with the idea of hand stitching different frames of Blue Giant’s facial expressions! These will go from grumpy to extremely angry, and I’m excited to see how they work out when we shoot them. Hopefully it works!

Blue Giant

For the past few days I have been working on remaking Blue Giant, our main puppet within the film. Sacha’s design is beautiful, but the puppet made for the style frames have needed some editing to make them more functional for animation. I’ve had a lot of fun stitching him up and making him a bit more sturdy! He started off without hands or feet so I started there.

 initial hand structure

process and attachment 

For the feet I had to wrap large amounts of thick wire to support the puppet’s height, and so they would properly clamp to the magnets while animating. The wire within his legs was also too malleable to properly support the body, so I had to open up the legs and reenforce them with much heavier pieces of wire.