The Breadwinner

Myself and Inês went to see Cartoon Saloon’s new feature film The Breadwinner as part of the BFI London Film Festival last Sunday.

Images found here

The whole film was painstakingly beautiful from start to finish, and I of course was particularly enamoured with the internal story sequence, which was shot in the style of cut paper animation. I was disappointed to learn that this was actually digitally done to replicate the aesthetic of paper (obviously the images had been digitally retouched but I was kind of hoping the did the actual animation with physical paper), BUT the animators did work with a paper artist to achieve the right effects.

still from the paper story world of The Breadwinner found here

It’s like everything I love having a little baby together and hopefully if similar projects pop up in the future I could utilise my paper crafting skills alongside my animation skills. It was really inspiring to see something that encompassed everything I enjoy doing on a film screen. Go see the film if you get a chance it was so so gorgeous and heartbreaking and lovely.

Edit: Watch the video on the making of The Breadwinner on the official Facebook page here.